At Crown Roofing & Exteriors, we stand by every roof we install in Southern Illinois and the St. Louis Metro East. When we replace your roof, your job comes complete with an industry-leading warranty from our shingle manufacturing partner, CertainTeed™, and our own workmanship guarantee. While these guarantees protect labor and installation, they can’t prevent the wear and tear that come the lack of roof maintenance.
To help your roof last the standard 20- to 25-year lifespan, you’ll need to take a few simple steps throughout the year to ensure it stays in great shape. Just a few minutes of your time can save you thousands in roof replacement costs. Here are five ways to ensure your new roof protects your home for decades to come.
- Keep your roof and gutters free from debris. When leaves, pine needles, branches, and other debris accumulate on your roof or in your gutters, they prevent moisture from escaping, causing rot, mold, and shingle deterioration. In the winter months, a build-up of water can result in ice dams that warp and loosen shingles. A quick shot with a leaf blower or a sweep of a roof rake can remove debris from your roof and prevent future damage. In addition, be sure to maintain your gutters at least twice a year, or if your home is surrounded by trees, once every three months.
- Remove snow pileups as soon as possible. Here in Southern Illinois, we may only get one or two big snowstorms a year, but those winter weather events can quickly damage your roof, especially if it’s on the older side. By getting out your roof rake to remove snow drifts, you can help stop your roof from collapsing due to the extra weight and taking on water as the snow melts.
- Trim your tree branches. Trees add curb appeal and natural beauty to your home, but they can also be one of the greatest dangers to your roof. If a storm or heavy winds hit, dead or weakened tree branches are the first to fall, and if they end up on your roof, they can cause gaping holes and other serious damage that may require a complete roof replacement. A good rule of thumb is to keep the tips of your tree branches at least six feet away from your roof.
- Make sure your attic is properly insulated. In addition to keeping your house cool in the summer and warm in the winter, the right attic insulation can reduce the need for a roof replacement. Without proper insulation, roof rafters expand and contract as temperatures fluctuate, leading to cracks in the roof itself. Once those cracks and gaps open up, they provide an easy way for outside moisture to seep into the roof’s structure. An added bonus – attic insulation helps roof shingles maintain an even temperature season after season to prevent cracking, pulling, and curling.
- Take advantage of free inspections from Crown Roofing. Whether your roof was installed by Crown or another roofing company in Southern Illinois, we’re happy to provide a thorough roof inspection to determine if any repairs are required to defend the integrity of your home. We recommend that you schedule an inspection as soon as you spot a problem or if your roof is 10 years or older. For more information, please call us at 618.799.8375 or contact us for an appointment.
We know when you invest in a new roof, you want it to last as long as possible. However, by taking the initiative to clean and care for your roof and contacting Crown Roofing in New Baden at the first sign of a problem, you can reduce the need for a complete roof replacement.